Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's So Great About Married Love Anyway?

The other day my husband said to me that he likes it when I admit my faults. If you don't understand what Christian married love is about, you might think that statement is meant as something negative. But we need to realize that we ALL have faults and that none of us is perfect. A spouse knows this better than anyone because they see who we truly are. There's no fooling that person and the harder we try, the harder we make life with them. So when he said that to me, I understood that he was merely reflecting the love that Christ has for us. He loves us no matter what. He also knows our faults, but when we confess them to Him, we are opening up to that love even more. It is a completely unconditional and no earthly love can compare to it. However, the committed love of two married people who have also committed their life to Christ is something that mirrors it. In fact, there is a reason why Christ is referred to as the Bridegroom and His people (the church) are the bride.

Ephesians 5 explains the marriage relationship and how it is to mirror the relationship we have with Christ.

So back to what my husband was saying...because I understand what he meant, I know that what he was telling was that he loves me even MORE if I admit my faults to him. I don't have to pretend! There is such freedom in knowing he has that kind love for me.

This kind of love can ONLY happen between two people who have made that marriage commitment in front of God. Two people simply living under the same roof cannot know or understand it because their relationship does not mirror His love, therefore it is not blessed by Him.

So, yes, married love is the closest thing to the perfect love of God and God IS love. What could be greater?

No comments:

Post a Comment