Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whatever happened to "shop till I drop"?

The other night I was shopping for my son. He desperately needed pants that fit since all of his looked like high waters. In fact, he was beginning to look like (dare I say it) a little nerd. I was afraid that if I did not get this task done quickly I would be late to pick up the girls from church. So there I was, (at Walmart, I'm afraid - 3 year old boys could care less where there clothes come from) practically throwing clothes in the cart as fast as I could. I also knew his attention span for such tasks was quite short. He was more interested in climbing the display shelves.

After this speed-shopping job was over, I starting thinking what ever happened to the days when I liked to shop? I remember as a kid getting up on Saturdays and dressing in a really cute outfit and heading to the mall with my mom. We would make a day of it; meeting friends, going out to lunch, spending HOURS inside a dressing room. These days, I can't even fathom it. Even my girls don't seem to have the patience for it. They would rather be playing hide and seek in the racks than browsing through them. Truth be told, I can't remember the last time I truly went shopping at the mall. I think it was back in 2005. At any rate, I guess we just have a different set of priorities these days. At least I know that when my children turn 18, their primary goal will probably NOT be applying for a Nordstrom charge card.

No comments:

Post a Comment