Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm in 6th grade (again)!

I have this reoccurring nightmare. I'm in high school, only I'm 30-something years old (roughly the age I am today) and all the other students are 16 and 17. Apparently, in my dream I've been held back...a lot! Maybe I keep having this dream because I feel like I didn't finish school as strongly as I should have. After going onto college and achieving the status of "Dean's List" quarter after quarter, I learn the most important thing ever taught to me in my education...I do have the potential and if I put my mind to it, I can finish strong. But that's not why I'm doing 6th grade again, of course. Knowing this gives me a heads up on how to approach the education of my children. I'm in the business of learning how they learn. It is fun to relive my school years and relearn all that stuff again, but the real reason is because I have to know exactly what my children are learning. In order to be an effective teacher, I have to know how questions are posed and how the content of the lessons is delivered. I can quickly see where my children will soar though the lessons and where they will struggle. Plus, I think my daughter thinks it's pretty cool to ask, "Mommy, did you do your school work today?" Thankfully, my grades are much better this time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment