Monday, July 18, 2011

The Friends List

Facebook has really become an opportunity for ministry. If you happen to see me logged in, chances are, I'm praying for one or more of my friends. I read through the status updates and see a snapshot of that person's life. Sometimes, I'm blessed and encouraged by what I read because the person is truly being used by God and I pray that He will continue to use them and bless them. Most of the time, however, I read the updates with a sense of urgency to pray for an individual who is hurting, lonely, searching, depressed, desperate, or just plan lost.

There is more to life than "woohoo, it's Friday" or "great dinner…now off to bed"**. There can be joy when Monday hits. We don't have to start the week with "where did the weekend go". We can live with fulfillment everyday. It grieves me to see that joy is so many times associated with the temporary experiences in life. Yes, it's great to enjoy a good meal or have fun on the weekend. But the problem with that thinking is that it is just that…temporary. If we allow ourselves to focus so much on those temporary things then we just find ourselves living from one short-term fulfillment to the next, never totally feeling lasting joy.

So here's the simple recipe to pure, unending happiness…Jesus! That's all there is to it! Giving our life to Him and allowing Him to control us frees us from relying on the temporary pleasures of this world. It gives us that eternal HOPE; a future to live for, and also a supernatural strength to endure the hurts and challenges of life. It turns the mundane into opportunity to grow in faith. When HE leads us through life, we see it through a whole new lens.

And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord; It shall rejoice in His salvation. Psalm 35:9

**These are not actual status updates! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment