Friday, August 27, 2010

Feeling "Locked Out"?



It's taken me a while to realize this, but there is incredible value in a lock on the bathroom door. I found this out when our four year old son started using our bedroom as his playroom. Knocking before entering is just something he's not wired to do…yet. Although we try to remind him, he still just barges into every room like he owns it. So the other day, while I was in the shower, it didn't surprise me that he got a little hot under the collar when he couldn't just walk in to get something from me. He started banging on the door, yelling, "let me in!" And then came the crying, "Mommy!" Of course, I had to calmly respond, "Robbie, you'll have to wait a minute. When I’m done in the shower, I'll let you in." And then his response was, "no, now!" It would not have been the right time to explain to him that I wasn't going to get out of the shower, soaking wet, reach over and unlock the door…not to mention, he's becoming a little too curious about bodily differences (if you know what I mean) and he just doesn't need to be seeing them right now. He wouldn't have wanted to hear all that, he just wanted in.

This scenario reminded me of my own relationship with God lately. I've felt like I've needed Him to do things for me and I needed them done now. God has been saying, "You'll have to wait." He has no intention of explaining it all to me, because He knows that I can't quite comprehend it all. When the time is right, He will unlock the door and let me in. "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons which the Father has put in His own authority." Acts 1:7

Now, in the meantime, there are two things I can be doing…I can either bang on the door and scream, "no, now!" OR I can trust His word, wait, and believe that He will do as He said He would and my needs will be met.

James 1:2-4 says, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have it's perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

As a parent, I know how option two blesses me. If my son is obedient and can exercise trust and patience, he will have a very happy and proud mommy. Of course, I would love him no matter what, but I would, most likely, respond with nothing short of a good scolding if he continues to pound on the door! I shouldn't expect any less of the Heavenly Father. I want Him to be proud of me and reward my trust and patience in Him. He knows my situation way better than I do. He knows what I'm up against. Would he do anything to deliberately hurt me? No! I know this is true, because even us earthly parents would never do that to our children. How much more loving is He?

No comments:

Post a Comment