Saturday, January 12, 2013

WARNING!!! This post contains graphic images!

6:05 A.M.  - I awake from a restless and painful night's sleep (due to a pinched nerve in my neck) to the sound of a toddle howling in his nighttime prison.  I can't move my neck.

6:10 A.M.  - I ascend the "stairs of doom".  With each step, I become more and more aware of what awaits.

6:10 A.M.  - Seconds later, I remove the crabby toddler from his bed and head to the kitchen.  He's following me.

6:11 A.M.  - My fears are confirmed.  The dog has had a severe case of diarrhea, spreading from one end of the kitchen to the other, and into the adjoining bathroom. (Fortunately, he was gated into the kitchen the night before, so that's as far as it went.)

6:15 A.M.  - I am armed with rubber gloves, bleach, and an industrial size roll of paper towel.  The kind you see in gas station bathrooms.  The coffee maker is now brewing.

7:40 A.M.  - The kitchen and bathroom floors are now sanitized, the pain meds have kicked in, and I'm finally pouring a cup of coffee.

No doubt, it was a rough way to start the day.  There was a time in my life when that would have caused me to burst into tears.  But I've learned something since then (unfortunately, I do sometimes forget what I've learned - but today I remembered it).  Praise, in the midst of trial, combined with a call for the Holy Spirit to take control is what gets me through moments like this.  When I'm on my hands and knees cleaning dog yuck and a whiny toddle is trying to climb on my back, I'm praising the Lord.  I'm thanking Him.  Not necessarily for the mess around me, but for the love, patience, and strength He gives me.  It allows me to handle the whole situation with grace and endurance.

By the way, the only "graphic" picture I decide to post was the one of the crabby toddle throwing a fit on the (sanitized) kitchen floor.  The other one was just too...GROSS!


No comments:

Post a Comment