Friday, May 11, 2012

Christians and Gay Marriage

There is an awful lot of talk about gay marriage these days. Especially since the man that has been deemed our president decided go against his "Christian" faith and show support for it. As a Christian, I feel it is important to clarify that I do not see him as a true Christian. He chooses not to live by the Word of God, and so that makes his so-called faith null and void. If we, as Christians, suddenly excuse any sin that the Bible clearly outlines then we might as well say Christ died in vain.

Sadly, because of people like our president who have an outlet to publicly push their "brand" of Christianity, others eat it up like a Krispy Kreme donut. "We are to treat everyone as we would like to be treated. It's the Golden Rule." Yes, I agree that we should show love to others. However…love and accepting blatant sin as "good" do NOT go hand in hand. I have friends that are gay. I love them dearly, but I also want them to realize the seriousness of choosing sin. I care about their eternal life and I want them to live in freedom!

Then there's the argument, "Well, it's not like anyone would CHOOSE that lifestyle. They were born that way. They can't help it." Sorry, but that is a lie straight from the devil and if you believe that you are also deceived. Scripture is VERY clear, and you don't have to go any further than Genesis to find the answer. It started when the first man decided to sin. He doomed all of humanity in that one choice. That is when the world fell into a tailspin. That is why we now have disease, rape, murder, child abuse, lying, cheating, stealing, and every other sin. And in Romans we are reminded that "we ALL fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). We all have sin that we struggle with. It's also why we see innocent life, like children and unborn babies, brutally murdered…all because of the moment when Adam and Eve made that choice. My sin may be different than someone who practices a homosexual lifestyle, but that does not mean that I am anymore deserving of God's love than they are or that I will be guaranteed entrance into Heaven. What matter's most is the choice I make in accepting Christ's sacrifice for my sins and allowing the Holy Spirit to control me. Because we have the Holy Spirit, we have the power to overcome the urges to sin. It doesn't mean we are suddenly perfect or better than anyone else. It just means that we suddenly have an Advocate in Christ.

With all that said, as we approach another election season, I could not bring myself to ever vote for a person who deceives others into going against God's Word. Especially since I know very well what the Bible says about deception. It is Satan's greatest weapon. Stick to the Scripture and defeat him at his game.

And continue to love others, regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment